The State Senate race in New York’s 60th district in Buffalo featured a four-candidate race, in which the winning Democrat, Marc Panepinto, won with only 32.65% of the vote.
The incumbent State Senator, Republican Mark G. Grisanti, lost the Republican primary to Kevin T. Stocker. Grisanti had voted for a gun control measure and Stocker based his campaign on opposition to the measure, although it had already been passed and signed into law. But Grisanti was still in the general election because the Independence Party nominated him. The Conservative Party ran its own nominee, Timothy D. Gallagher, because both Grisanti and Stocker support same-sex marriage. Thus, there were four candidates in the race.
The results were: Panepinto received 27.71% on the Democratic line and another 4.94% on the Working Families line, for a total of 32.65%.
Stocker received 30.86% on the Republican line.
Grisanti received 28.10% on the Independence line.
Gallagher received 8.40% on the Conservative line.